Deciding whether to replace or repair your garage door is confusing. There are many factors to consider, including the door’s type, age, quality, frequency of repair, and, of course, the level of damage.
You would do well in taking into account the geographic location as well. Moving parts and electronics break down far more frequently if you live near a large body of water. For example, if your home is in the picturesque shire of Eurobodalla, near the magnificent Australian coastline.
Especially for those living near the sea, this blog discusses several factors you should consider when deciding to opt for replacement or garage door repair in Eurobodalla.
How old is your garage door?
The older your garage door, the more likely it is to break down and the more frequently it will happen. Generally, garage doors older than twenty years have reached the end of their useful life, making replacement your best option. If nothing else, twenty years can bring significant design and technology innovations that make garage doors more effective and efficient. So consider replacing your door to keep up with the latest trends.
On the other hand, if relatively new (ten years or less), consider repairing damaged panels or parts instead. At this age, normal wear and tear haven’t really set in, and the technology is still relatively new. Regular upkeep and minor repairs will keep your garage door around for a long time at a low cost.
How badly damaged is the door?
Sometimes, wear and tear isn’t the issue. External factors such as accidents and natural phenomena play a significant part in determining whether to repair or replace a garage door. A little filler, some paint, or replacing a single panel might cover most light impact damage.
However, backing your car into the garage door or a fire within the garage could seriously wreck the door’s structure and function. In some cases, for example, if you are considering garage door repair in Eurobodalla, a severe coastal storm could bring flying debris crashing into your garage door.
Other Signs your garage door needs repair
With all that said, consider repairing instead of replacing your door if you experience any of the following:
- The door suddenly stops moving;
- If not the batteries, the most likely culprit is a burned-out motor or a broken belt, chain, or spring. Most competent technicians can quickly diagnose and fix such an issue;
- The door has warped;
- Typically, broken torsion springs cause garage doors to become crooked or sag. Damage to one side means the door may move out of sync or freeze. Replacing these springs will quickly solve that problem;
- The door has one or two damaged panels;
- A damaged panel does not affect the overall function of the door are relatively easy to repair or replace;
Other Signs your garage door needs replacing
- Your garage door vibrates excessively;
- Squealing/screeching noises during operation or intense shaking as the door moves up or down indicates you may have several broken hinges, springs, bearings, or an uneven tension distribution;
- Your door suffered long-term structural damage;
- Postponing repairs may seem harmless, but if these stresses have persisted long enough, they could severely damage the door’s frame and mechanisms.
When all is said and done, it probably needs replacing if you are confused about whether you need to replace your garage door or repair it. However, to be sure, get in touch with a reputable company that offers repair and replacement services. For example, if you need garage door repair in Eurobodalla, Southern Garage Doors is a long-time contender in the market with significant experience in the area’s unique challenges.
Disclaimer: This is a generic Information & post; content about the services can be changed from time to time as per your requirements and contract. To get the latest and updated information, contact us today or visit our website.